Thursday, March 3, 2011

Wedding Etiquette- Bridesmaid Duties

Bridesmaid duties... They are pretty similar to the Maid of Honor duties, but may include more following directions from the MOH or bride and executing. Of course, the bridesmaids are always included in the planning process, around for input on dresses/hair/make-up etc. They are also there to help the bride with anything she may need help with.

Some common Bridesmaid duties may include:

Pre Wedding:
  • Playing a supportive role for the bride in the planning process
  • Shopping for the wedding dress with the bride
  • Shopping for Bridesmaid dresses with the bride
    • I think this is a VERY important step. With my bridesmaids, I wanted to make sure the dresses looked good on ALL of them. I have seen many BMs wear HORRIBLY ugly and unflattering dresses because they looked good on some of the BMs but not all of them. Some brides don't care, and want what they want.... but I wanted my bridesmaids to be comfortable and look good too!
  • Shopping for accessories for the wedding day
  • Helping the bride plan the details for the wedding
  • Helping to plan the bridal shower/engagement party/bachelorette party
  • Address invitations if the bride needs help
  • Help the bride and/or groom register for items for their Registry if help is needed
  • Spread the word about where the bride and groom are registered
  • Attend and help out during the wedding rehearsal and rehearsal dinner
    • this day can be confusing and stressful. The bride and groom may need help to keep the ball rolling to get things accomplished. Some venues only allow you to practice for a short amount of time without having to pay for your time there!
Wedding Day:
  • Run last minute errands
  • Assist with wedding vendors- check off arrivals of equipment/deliveries and make sure they go where they need to (if no Coordinator is available)
  • Assist the bride with getting ready
  • Assist other bridesmaids in getting ready
  • Check on the groom and groomsmen and make sure they are running ON TIME!
  • Witness the signing of the marriage license
  • Stand in the receiving line (this is kind of old fashioned. The last time I went to a wedding that did this, I was 6 and it was 1992)
  • Serve as a hostess at the wedding reception, introducing guests, showing them where to go, etc.
  • Carry the brides wedding gown train as necessary
  • help to bustle the train before the reception begins
  • Accompany the bride to the restroom if she needs help!

Of course, there are many things that you may or may not do as a Bridesmaid. The most important thing is to be there for the bride and assist her when she needs help. Planning a wedding is stressful! She will need all the support she can get!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this post! I have pretty much just 1 out of my 5 bridesmaids that even show interest in my wedding, let alone help with anything. It gets so frustrating.

    Anyways, I just wanted to say hi, I'm a new follower (I found your blog on weddingbee) and I look forward to reading more from you.

    ReplyDelete